14 March 2008

Gone Ghoti-ing* (Stanley Fish, that is)

What he said:
For the most part, it is not my purpose in this space to urge positions, or come down on one side or the other of a controversial question. Of course, I do those things occasionally and sometimes inadvertently, but more often than not I am analyzing arguments rather than making them; or, to be more precise, I am making arguments about arguments, especially ones I find incoherent or insufficiently examined.
I'll buy that.

* For more on GHOTI go here

3 comments:

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

How does this explain that weird column he wrote last summer, about how hard it is to buy coffee?

Anonymous said...

Not sure. I haven't seen the column. If you've got a link I'll check it out. Was it about the invented language you find in Starbucks, tall, grande, venti, mochaccino, frappaccino, etc.?
I remember reading Fish in grad school in philosophy with respect to literary critical theory before he "exited" Duke's Dept. of English.

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

About language? If it was, I didn't get it.

http://fish.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/coffee/

By the way, this column is not actually worth reading, so feel free not to bother.