10 December 2010

Vote For My Post

It's that time again. Last year, one of my posts was nominated for the Politics Quark (Judged by Tariq Ali) at the estimable 3QuarksDaily. From a large field, my post was among the five finalists. There's a banner over on the right that will take you to that post entitled "Blunderbuss", as will this link.

Loyal reader, author Frances Madeson, has nominated another of my posts for this years Politics Quark (Judged by Lewis Lapham). The post is titled "Politics", and it deals with the outcome of the recent mid-term elections. Here is the link to the list of nominated posts over at 3QuarksDaily. There's some good stuff. Read through them, and, if so inclined, vote for mine here. They're in alphabetical order; mine is close to the bottom. Thanks.

UPDATE: Voting closes Monday, December 13, 2010, at 11:59 pm NYC time

5 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Not even a bribe? Hmph. :)

Jim H. said...

Okay. What's it gonna' take?

Anonymous said...

Maybe the top thing I read ever :P

Sincere regards,
Celia
higbee insurance agency

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I think far too much of the Bush Imperial Presidency has been retained by Obama (and I refer to the National Security/Justice Department apparatus, specifically).

Example.

Another.

As for the power of the Executive versus Legislative versus Judicial, isn't our real problem the control that our large corporations and billionaires have over all three?

In that context, I don't see the midterm election as an improvement...just further down the tubes, really.

But I lack the negotiating chops of a Randal Graves, I'll go ahead and vote for your post...
~

Jim H. said...

You are not wrong, Thunder. Devolution of power is never simple or straightforward and can be a dangerous game (entrenched interests, etc., etc.). My only point is that I think I've spotted a trend that no one else has; and it's a trend that needs to be extended, IMO, specifically into the areas you mention among others.

As for corporate control: that's another can of worms, one I'm trying to wrap my brain around. It's pervasive and insidious. I proposed one tentative approach a couple weeks back: namely, that corporate tax rates should be lowered, but should be put on the same accounting footing as profit/loss statements for investment purposes. When soliciting investors, companies pump up their earnings statements, but poor-mouth them when it comes time to render taxes. Two sets of books. It's a big dodge, bigger, I believe, than all the loopholes they get for charity, re-investment, etc. It seems to me that would be a good start to reverse the looting that's been going on pretty much unabated since at least Reagan. More later here.

Thanks for the vote!